Cherokee Oak #13

Cherokee Oak #13

Quercus alba This white oak stands on the Old Walton Road, one of only two Middle Tennessee roads that nineteenth-century pioneers used as wagon roads. (The other was the Chattanooga–McMinnville Road.) The Old Walton Road between Brotherton and Buck Mountain was part...
Cedar Lane Cedars #5

Cedar Lane Cedars #5

Juniperus virginiana When Knoxvillian James McMillan planted dozens of red cedar trees along both sides of his 600-acre farm in 1844, he never envisioned that they would survive to become a living legacy of the area. Only about ten of the cedars remain today, but they...
Carriage Drive Cedars #26

Carriage Drive Cedars #26

Juniperus virginiana The six large eastern red cedars form the old 1838 carriage entrance drive to the mansion at President Andrew Jackson’s beloved home, The Hermitage. The design of the driveway with its row of cedars was created by Jackson’s daughter-in-law, Sarah...
Burnett-Thomas Garden Holly #31

Burnett-Thomas Garden Holly #31

Ilex opaca This American holly is the remnant of the renowned Burnett Garden. The Burnetts were co-founders and early leaders of the Appalachian community of Pittman Center, settled in 1784 along with the Smoky Mountains. In 1919 a Methodist missionary preacher, Dr....
Bonny Oaks Willow Oak #3

Bonny Oaks Willow Oak #3

Quercus phellos The Bonny Oaks Willow Oak stands in Hamilton County on land once occupied by the Cherokee Indians. Colonel Lewis Shepherd originally settled in the area, and in 1840 Colonel Jarrett G. Dent built the Dent House (now on the National Historic Register)...