September 2017 Issue
WORKSHOP/ CONFERENCE $160
FRIDAY CONFERENCE $110
THURSDAY WORKSHOP $40
October 5-6 conference highlights
• KEYNOTE on the future of urban forestry from Paul Ries of Insightful NatureTREE BOARD WORKSHOP4 CEUS
- Types of tree boards and the role of members
- How to build resources and market the urban forest
- Ideas for outreach, education, fundraising, and partnerships
- Have more productive meetings and keep members engaged
- Urban ecosystems as pollinator habitats
- Beneficial tree species and management practices for pollinators
- Tree Biology
- Urban Soils
- Trees and Impervious Surface
- Using Health Data to Influence Planning
- Careers in Arboriculture and Urban Forestry
- Technology "Drones" and Natural Resource Management
- Knoxville's Proactive Vegetation Management Program
- Landscaping and Plant Health Care Techniques from Jim Cortese
ISA CEUs: Certified Arborist, Municipal Specialist, BCMA
CFE CREDITS: Category 1: CF
|Oak Ridge Session||3|
Help measure state champion trees
You can help update the list of the state's biggest trees. The Champion Tree Program needs volunteers to help measure trees that are either on the list or have been nominated. If you would like to participate in this program, EMAIL the Division of Forestry's program coordinator Brian Rucker or call 615-837-5439.
Gatlinburg's trees need your help
Your donation supports Replant Gatlinburg, TUFC's 2017 tree restoration project to restore urban trees lost in the 2016 Chimney Tops Fire. MORE
Give $50 to plant a tree$125 starts a grove $50 plants a tree $25 cares for a tree
Thank our donors$4500
Kim and Gary Hawkins
RELINK CARD THIS MONTH!
Card gets free money for TUFC
Raise money for TUFC every time you use your Kroger Plus shopper's card.
Kroger donated more than $50 to TUFC last quarter, earned by six families using their Kroger Plus shopper's cards.
Get a card or link your current card to Tennessee Urban Forestry Council NPO#84450 by setting up a digital account here or call 1-800-576-4377, option 3.
Tree Climb Sept. 23 in Nashville
The 19th annual Tennessee Tree Climbing Championship is set for Sevier Park in Nashville September 23. MORE
and sustainable urban
and community forests
New, renewing TUFC members
- Weida Ringley
- Dave Walters
- City of Tullahoma
- Mister Tree
Make your home a tree sanctuary
You can now designate your property as a tree sanctuary with TUFC’s new program for residences. MORE
Emerald ash borer update
- 59 counties including Davidson are now under state/federal quarantine. Map
- EAB cannot be contained, and all ash species are at risk of dying.
- Significant trees can sometimes be saved with permanent chemical treatments, if diagnosed early.
- The most important way to slow the spread of EAB is to stop moving firewood.
JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG
JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC