May 2014 Issue
SAVE THE DATE!
TUFC Conference is September 18-19
Mark your calendar for the 23rd annual Urban Forestry Conference September 18-19 at Ellington Agricultural Center in Nashville. The Tennessee Tree Climb will be held September 20 at Ellington.
Programs will focus on problems and solutions for arborists and government tree stewards. TUFC will present the annual Awards of Excellence.
Suttles' Boundary Oak
added to Heritage Registry
This 76-foot white oak is documented in a Sevier County deed of 1866. It was added to the Landmark Registry in 2004, but fell in a storm in 2006. It is now on the Registry of Heritage Trees, which are no longer living. More
Nashville's Davidson Academy a Level 1 arboretum
Davidson Academy in Nashville now has a Level 1 arboretum. During the fall semester, 22 Garden Club participants in grades K5 – 3 identified trees and planted new species. Parents, grandparents, teachers, and staff donated 41 trees. A .3-mile tree trail begins at the Lower School entrance. A brochure and map are available in the front lobby. Call 615/860-5300 to schedule a tour.
Center for Excellence has busy quarter
TUFC’s first Center of Excellence, Memphis Botanic Garden, reported a busy first quarter of tree activities. Highlights include:
- Presented a brown bag lunch lecture by Fred Morgan with Morgan Tree Services on tree selection, care, and maintenance to 29 attendees.
- Assisted with arboretums at New Hope Christian Academy and International Place
- Hosted TUFC board meeting, Strategic Planning Committee, and general meeting.
- Conducted Tree Outreach Program for 30 students in two preschool classes.
- Lent tree class resource box to synagogue for Tu Bishvat tree celebration.
- Hosted interactive exhibit on trees in Visitors Center, plus a display from TUFC-sponsored poster contest celebrating Memphis as a Tree City.
- Hosted the Official State of Tennessee Arbor Day with about 100 in attendance. Tree City USA was announced, and we gave away 396 seedlings.
- Certified Arborist Chris O’Bryan spoke to the Tennessee Naturalist program on botany.
- Arborist Chris O’Bryan featured on public access program at Germantown High School.
Governor's residence opens tree trail
Third graders from Algood Elementary School in Cookeville visit the governor's home on Earth Day for a new tree education program, the Tennessee Residence Tree-Mendous Trail.
TUFC West offers course for urban forestry advisors
The West Tennessee chapter offers its fifth urban forestry advisor training course September 3 through October 1.
The five-week course provides 20 hours of instruction by local experts. Classes are held Wednesday from 9am-1pm at Memphis Botanic Garden.
Lectures and field work will cover tree biology, ID and selection, risk management, diagnostics, site analysis, tree inventory, construction protection, and the role of government agencies.
Cost is $85; class is limited. Register
garden tour is June 14
The Montgomery County Master Gardener Association hosts the 2014 Tour of Gardens June 14 from 9am-3pm.
Tickets are available at Mary's Gardens, Simply Brigitte, or the Montgomery County Extension Office at 1030 Cumberland Heights Blvd. More
Free teachers workshops set for Pickwick Landing, Knoxville
Teachers' workshops focusing on conservation are set for June 24-27 at Pickwick Landing and July 14-18 in Knoxville.
Participants study forest conservation through hands-on examples that can be incorporated into classroom instruction. The workshops are sponsored by UT Extension, the Tennessee Forestry Association, and Memhis Lumberman's Club. More
TWRA wins Arbor Day award
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency has received a 2014 Arbor Day Award for its outstanding contribution to tree planting, conservation, and stewardship. The agency received the Arbor Day Foundation's Forest Lands Leadership Award for advancing sustainable forestry efforts on public forestland. It has planted more than three million trees on 7,000 acres of former row-crop land.
Content from The GroveShare planting stories, photos, videos and help others create thriving urban forests here
- Have you experienced Arborglow?
- Urban Forests = Healthy Lives
- Share your favorite tree smell.
- Kingdom of Moss
- Spring Trees
- Cherry Tree Research At The National Arboretum
- Bonnie Appleton Memorial Fund
- Big Tree? Be sure to look down!
- Colorado’s Tree Finder App Available for Download
- What was your most satisfying Tree ID?
- What is your favorite size tree to plant and why?
- How common is tree vandalism?
- Why Existing Healthy Urban Trees are so Valuable